Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Cabaret

So the previous post was my drunk pink party post cabaret rantings. I get that way when I drink apparently. Contemplative Khiem. Yay...

So the cabaret went a lot better than I could have thought. To be honest, I was worried about all the different mistakes I would be making and not being comfortable on the stage, etc. Turns out most of those worried were for naught.

So my final set list:
Nothing in Common by Jason Robert Brown

Larger Than Life from My Favorite Year

Giants in the Sky from Into the Woods

I'll Be Here from The Wild Party

Heroes from 3 Guys Naked from the Waist Down

The Butterfly from The Story of My Life.

I couldn't have asked for a better reception to my set. Granted it was very intimidating to go up there and just wing the transitions. But after a time I loosened up and just had fun with it.

What really helped me were some affirmations that I read before going on stage that stated things like getting rid of need to please people and etc. I just decided that I was doing this for me and my enjoyment and the audience was merely along for the ride.

Okay, so I kinda have ideas as to what people really liked in the set. Larger Than Life was very well received. It is more an acting song and that fit really well for me. I was thinking about putting that as the ending song, and use my best song earlier in case I lost the audience at that point. But I chose to stick with my original order which just fit well.

The best received song was The Butterfly. I have been obsessing about this song for the longest time. I think I even have an entry in this blog that talks about it a little. I don't know. Something just clicked that night with that song. Darwyn was on, I felt the story, and my nervousness and worries just disappeared. I don't think I even realized the audience was there during that performance. It was a great experience. And I got a standing ovation after that too which was completely unexpected.

It's a great way to end my gaslight career for awhile. Med school is gonna take precedence and hopefully in another year I'll be able to come back for another set. Gonna be hard to top this though.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment